1. Why did you choose nursing?
2. Why do you want to work for us?
3. What courses did you like best/least? Why?
4. What qualities do you have that will benefit this organization?
5. Where do you see yourself five years from now?
6. How long do you expect to work for us?
7. What area would you prefer to work?
8. How do you feel about shift work?
9. What have you done that shows initiative?
10. How do you feel about taking orders from another person?
11. What type of person do you find difficult to get along with?
12. What is your personal philosophy of nursing?
13. What do you see as your strengths and weaknesses?
Questions students may want to ask:
1. Is management centralized or decentralized?
2. What is the role of the director of nursing?
3. What is the size of the unit?
4. What’s the ratio of patients to nurses from shift to shift?
5. What’s the ratio of RNs to LpNs and nursing assistants?
6. What are the roles of the LpNs and nursing assistants?
7. How much clerical and housekeeping help is available?
8. What support services (IV team, code team, EKG techs, and so forth) are available?
9. What does orientation include and how long does it last?
10. Will I receive full salary during orientation?
11. Where are new graduates usually assigned?
12. How would you describe your nursing philosophy?
13. How much individual responsibility and autonomy do nurses have on nursing procedures?
14. What type of care delivery system do you use--team, primary, modular, or case management? On all shifts?
15. Do nurses have 8, 10, 12, or 24 hour accountability?
16. Is there financial compensation available for the NCLEX application, or NCLEX review course?
17. What is the procedure for transferring from one unit or shift to another?
18. How will my performance be uated? By whom? How often?
19. Is there a career ladder? What is the pay difference at each step?
20. Do you often promote from within?
21. Do you pay extra for specialty certification and education?
22. Is certification recommended or required for advancement?
23. What inservice programs are available?
24. Is there a nursing library?
25. How can I earn CEUs here?
26. How much time off is allowed for workshops, seminars, and meetings?
27. Do you offer tuition reimbursement for job-related study?
28. What is the schedule of a normal work week?
29. How often is rotation required?
30. How often are nurses expected to float?
31. How often is overtime necessary?
32. How many week-ends a month do most nurses work?
33. Is there a contract of employment? May I read it?
34. What measures are taken when a unit is short-staffed?
35. Is staff parking available? A cafeteria? Child-care facilities?Staff health services?
36. Do you give cost-of-living increases?
37. Can vacation days be accumulated from year to year?
38. Can unused sick leave be added to vacation time?
39. How much of a discount do I receive on medications and inpatient care?
40. Is malpractice coverage provided?
41. Is the hospital accessible by public transportation?